Native Education & Training College
Of Business, Healthcare,
Human Services & Technology
147 McIntyre St. W., Suite 101, North Bay, ON P1B 2Y5
Toll Free: 1.800.267.2577 Fax: 705.497.7839
Overhead travelling cranes and cranes are devices used to lift and move heavy loads. Due to their high power, lifting devices can be the most dangerous equipment on a job site. Every year in Canada, hoisting accidents result in hundreds of injuries, dozens of deaths and millions of dollars in property damage.
All workers who operate cranes.
• Identify and describe the three main types of industrial cranes
• Identify two types of controllers
• List the three things that must be verified before a lift
• Define and describe rigging and slings
• Describe basic safety inspections for overhead industrial cranes, their components, and rigging
• Describe guidelines for personal protective equipment when working around cranes
• List the three things that factor into load capacity
• Describe how the sling angle can affect rigging
• Describe safe procedures for lifting, moving, and setting down a load
• Describe guidelines for operating a crane near people
Course Content/ Educational Approach
Training based on high-quality, realistic 3D simulations that allow learners to clearly visualize risk situations and applicable solutions. Many interactions are included throughout the course to ensure the learners’ participation and understanding.
Duration: 35 minutes
Evaluation: Built-in exam
Passing Score: 85%
Internet connection, computer speakers or headphones required.
The duration of the training is a general indication and may vary from one person to another.
This training is recognized by the following client corporations:
ArcelorMittal Long Products Canada
Elkem Métal Canada Inc.
Glencore – Mine Raglan
Quebec Iron Ore inc. (Minerai de fer Québec inc.)
Rio Tinto – 2028 Mellon
Rio Tinto – Alma
Rio Tinto – Beauharnois
Rio Tinto – Complexe Jonquière
Rio Tinto – CRDA
Rio Tinto – Dubuc
Rio Tinto – Grande-Baie
Rio Tinto – Installations Portuaires
Rio Tinto – Laterrière
Rio Tinto – Énergie Électrique/Manoir
Rio Tinto Aluminum